Ordinary Meeting Minutes 3/08/2009


Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of Penshurst Parish Council held on Monday 3 August 2009 in Penshurst Village Hall at 7.30 pm
1.            PRESENT:   Cllrs C Viccars (Chairman), Mrs D Broad, M Gilbert, Mrs A Hill, R Horsford, R Sellings
APOLOGIES:    Cllrs A Campbell, S Frederick, D Geal, KCCllr P Lake, SDCllr P Cooke. These were approved.
2.            MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 6 July having been circulated, were approved and signed by the Chairman.
Declarations of Interest in Agenda Items
If a Member has a prejudicial interest, this should be declared at the start of the meeting.
Personal interests may be declared at this point or alternatively can be declared at the time when the specific item is being discussed, if a Member wishes to speak on an item in which s/he has a personal interest.
Cllr D Geal recorded a prejudicial interest under Planning – Item 7 – Eureka, Fordcombe Road, Fordcombe.
3.            MATTERS ARISING:
a.            Fordcombe Hospital Bus Stop:    Meeting arranged with Speldhurst Clerk to discuss possible provision of hard standing for bus passengers at Spire Hospital stop.
b.         Public Toilets:    Information received that electricity account based on estimated figures so accuracy for one year’s consumption questionable, if average of costs taken over two year period annual costs would be approximately £600 per annum.   Cleaning costs could be reduced if daily cleaning re-scheduled over the year giving a cost of between £3000 – £4000 instead of £7000. Sewage and repairs were assessed by SDC to be approximately £1300 per annum.   Options to contribute to SDC costs to maintain facility or take over facility in its entirety to be considered, taking into account any financial savings possible to make project feasible.   Issue to be discussed with SDCllr Cooke following highways meeting on 6 August.
c.            Penshurst Bus Shelter Roof: Cllr Sellings advised that Cllr Geal had obtained shingles for the roof.      
d.         Fallen Tree: Cllr Sellings advised substantial tree of approximately 2.5’ diameter complete with root system fallen in river.   Clerk advised Penshurst Place, inspection would be undertaken and any work necessary arranged. Clerk to advise Environment Agency. (Reported 4.8.09 under Ref: 703763)
e.            Penshurst Weed Control:   Arrangements made for company representative to meet with Mr Streeter, quotation obtained and approved.   Mr Streeter liaising with contractor regarding timing of work.
4.            REPORTS:
a.            Swaylands:     Cllr Sellings advised that the Drummond block should have a show flat available in September with an October finish date including the landscaping.   The roof on the other block should be finished by Christmas. 
b.         Kent County Councillor:     No Report, information on £25K highway funding provided for parish council.
c.            Sevenoaks District Councillor:   Cllr Cooke requested the opportunity to discuss the future of the public toilets with councillors after the highways meeting on the 6 August.
d.         KALC:      No report
e.         Community Officer :   Clerk had been advised by the Community Officer that there had been an attempted theft of a horse box in Fordcombe and an assault at Swaylands between two neighbours.
A garage break in on Penshurst Road, although in Penshurst, had been covered by Tunbridge Wells Police as it was within feet of their boundary.    Members were advised that equestrian equipment had also been stolen from a property in Fordcombe.
5.            HIGHWAYS: 
Annual Highways Meeting:    Scheduled for Thursday 6 August at 9.30 am at Fordcombe Village Hall.
Notification of timing of projects to enable parishioners to be aware and allow time for local information input.
Programme to fill pot holes
Programme for re-surfacing in parish
Clearance of blocked drains and routine programme for drain flushing
Possible provision of footpath to Doubleton Lane from Salmans Farm Road
Sand blasting of slippery pavement in Penshurst High Street
Possible provision of 30MPH flashing sign at entry to Penshurst and Fordcombe
Update on 10002224 – Give Way markings at Long Bridge; 10002225 – Remodelling of T junction corner outside Penshurst Village Hall
Strengthening work at Long Bridge
White Lines Leicester Square
The verge and hedge cutting had been carried out again, the standard still poor.  
Alan Riley (KCC Officer) wished to promote an initiative to ensure landowners maintained their hedges to required standards.   It was suggested that a short article be placed in the parish magazines to enable parishioners to be kept up to date on the matter.   Members were advised that Kent Highways had powers to undertake hedge work and charge the landowner if they did not complete the work themselves.   PC contact for this work would be the clerk.    Cllr Horsford to discuss removal of trees affecting visibility at Colliers Land Bridge with landowner.
It was reported that the bridge over the Eden near Salmans Farm had moved again, the recent work having been undertaken being cosmetic rather than providing a repair.    Giant hogweed, a notifiable weed, was growing on the river bank.
A dark green Land Rover acting suspiciously had been noticed and its registration number taken.
Clerk to write to Penshurst Village Hall Committee again to ask that hedge adjoining pavement be cut back to provide easier, safe access for pedestrians.
6.            PLANNING:
SE/09/01141: Godfrey House, Coldharbour Road, Penshurst: Continuing use of the land as C3, domestic curtilage of ‘Godfreys’.    No Comment
SE/09/01213: 2 Rectory Cottages, High Street, Penshurst:   Construction of timber shed.    The PC consider the design of this application to be unsuitable and inappropriate development in this setting.          
SE/09/01318: Eureka, Fordcombe Road, Fordcombe: Erection of two storey side extension and front porch. No Comment
SE/09/01330: 1 Rectory Cottages, High Street, Penshurst: Enclose cart shed to form garden room. The PC do not consider the design of this application to be appropriate nor in keeping with the surrounding environment. 
SE/09/01482: Orchard Mews, Nunnery Lane, Penshurst: Replacement detached dwelling house. Single storey extension to out building to form a three car garage.    The PC are aware of the steps being taken to comply with requirements relating to the environmental study and trust this is completed successfully.    Concerns are expressed over possible root damage to the oak tree when tarmacing is undertaken on the older driveway and would ask that steps are taken to protect same.
SE/09/01564: The Spotted Dog, Smarts Hill, Penshurst: To confirm lawful use for the community farm shop on The Spotted Dog pub site. (Application SE/09/01184 for same request withdrawn 15 July 2009).   No Comment
SE/09/01550: West Wing, Daneby Hall, The Lane, Fordcombe: use of West Wing as a separate dwelling.    No Comment
SE/09/01318: Chafford Rise, Chafford Lane, Fordcombe.    Proposed demolition of outbuilding and erection of rear extension. Demolition of garage and erection of replacement garage. TBA
09/01495: 2 Latymers, Penshurst: Remove one tree
09/01643: 1 Rectory Cottages, High Street, Penshurst: Various works to sycamore trees in Conservation Area.
SE/09/01009: Penshurst Off Road Cycling, Grove Road, Penshurst: Retrospective installation of a dish on an existing mast.   GRANTED
SE/09/01318:   Eureka, Fordcombe Road, Fordcombe: Erection of a two storey side extension and front porch.    REFUSED
7.            CORRESPONDENCE:
SDC:    Meeting documentation, agendas and minutes circulated.
SDC:     Kent Community Alcohol Partnership (KCAP) Leaflets
Kent Fire and Rescue Service: Notification of availability of Service Performance Plan for 2009/10 on website: www.kent.fire-uk.org.
8.            FINANCE:
The following accounts were presented and approved for payment:   
Mr I Streeter                                          Lengthsman                                                        78.00
RIP Cleaning Services                                    Dog Waste Removal                                      43.13
Fordcombe Village Hall                                Hall Hire                                                             12.00
a.         Village Seat – Fordcombe Green:   Cllr Viccars advised that parishioners had commented on the condition of the seat by the bus stop, he confirmed that offers of seats for the parish had been received. He would discuss the matter with Fordcombe Village Hall Committee and report to the council.
b.         Dog Waste:   Members were advised that some dog owners were throwing bags of dog waste into adjacent fields rather than placing it in the bin provided.
Meeting concluded at 8.50 pm                                               Next Meeting 7 September 2009